Interesing facts about Samuel de Champlain:
- He was important in establishing and administering the French colonies in the new world.
- In 1609 he led 32 colonists to settle in Quebec, but only nine survived the first bitter winter.
- On his voyage he started a fight with the Native American Indians that lasted 500 years with his country.
- On one of his voyages he found a lake and named it Lake Champlain in 1609.
- As a boy he learned how to navigate ships and became a naval captian, like his father.